Friday, August 1, 2008

A Post for an Anonymous "Someone"





Sorry it's taken so long to mention good books to read to help explore the Church and all that. You could do far worse than start with C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. Good reading, well-considered, and easy to get hold of.








And yeah, I'll mention more books as we go. Feel free to ask questions. And yeah, others might benefit from the books I drop here. So go forth and read! Oh, and trying to get to Mass wouldn't hurt. :) I'll dig up some info on the liturgy though, since I know not everyone is familiar with it.




Ok, book #2 already (since I'm thinking about it.) Scott Hahn, A Father Who Keeps His Promises will more or less show you how the Christian story unfolds (you'll like this one... it's epic.) I'll post over the next few weeks about it, thoughts on the Catholic world-view, how Christ is necessary to the world-view we all think of as Modern and Western.


3 comments:

Marina Reid said...

Oh I'm excited. I'm actually reading Merely Christianity right now, I bought the Complete Spiritual Works of CS Lewis. It's really good. The other one looks interesting too.
Mr. J, have you heard of The Shack, by (I think) William Young? It was recommended to me by a person at work whose dad is a preacher. It is a work of fiction but sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you've given us something to work towards. Unfortunately I have to wait to read CS Lewis because I promised Kent I'd read Tolkien for the next little bit. But a father who keeps his promise is so outstanding. I like the idea that heaven is the New Jerusalem, and we as Catholics are all citizens, very cool. But also how the Church represents The Jerusalem on earth. Gives me comfort that even though we dont own Jerusalem now, we have it in a different sense, if not in a more spiritual and powerful way.

Mr. Johnson said...

Let me know what you think of Lewis, Marina.