Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dawkins and the New Atheism

In the next week I plan a spree of posts dealing with Richard Dawkins. But when I refer to Dawkins, I'm also referring to a new brand of atheism that is not satisfied with unbelief but feels a moral obligation to spread the good word to the people. This new atheism is militant, spreading, and carries with it views of history and humanity that a Catholic must object to.

Again, I am a Catholic writing with a Catholic philosophy. It is my opinion that my set of beliefs are reasonable and good, though ultimately not proveable. Dawkins does not believe that my beliefs are justified by reason and believes the world would be a better place without them. I believe his position amounts to ill-considered bigotry.

Now, there are enough points to argue in this that I'll be breaking it down into pieces. Please feel free to point out anything I haven't touched on yet; if it isn't already on my list of items I'll gladly add it. Last, this represents my core beliefs. I've come to this place through a long road of reading, thinking, arguing, etc. I think I'm right, which is fair since I wouldn't be standing on this little hill and defending it if I thought I was wrong. You're more than welcome to comment or argue, but please maintain courtesy and fairness while doing so. I will attempt to do the same.

No comments: