Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Men and Jane Austen

I might have listed this under "the Problem with Jane Austen" but it seemed to deserve its own heading. The problem is that the most likely to resist Jane Austen (or similar literature) in the classroom are the young men. Some aren't into it; some are against it altogether. Some claim they don't like the characters, etc, etc, etc...

I think it's common to have men reluctant to read real literature. Our society doesn't exactly go out of its way to promote literature as something "manly" after all, and the breakdown of males vs females in the academic literature classroom isn't in favour of boys at all. But literature isn't of itself a feminine pursuit; it's a human pursuit, as human as dreaming. If anything our culture is a bit out of sync, and is experiencing a pretty word reverse-sexist thing where men avoid letters (esp. here in Alberta!) whereas a century ago it would have been men who in many ways dominated letters. Solutions? Hug your children! Other than that or the occasional rant, I don't know.

But Jane Austen, by God, is something worth reading. Aside from some of the patriotic stuff I pushed a few days ago there's the sheer humanity of it. Love! Passion! And the male characters! Gentlemen, if you've read the book, read it again and pay close attention to Mr. Darcy. A manlier man there is none. Even his faults are simply manly virtues misperceived through the haze of prejudice started by Wickham. Chesterton (who?) thought that Austen understoon men better than some men he knew. And if you look at the men in the book, this is true. Wickham, Bingley, Darcy and Mr. Collins are all types of men we see around us (well, maybe not Collins) and the mistakes they make are related to their respective characters.

Yes, the unaccustomed mind doesn't immediately see all of this in the reading. But that's what practise is about. If you read carefully (slowly enough as if you meant to -gasp- enjoy the book) you'll find sarcasm, dry wit, genuine warmth and a sense of romance that is not at all restricted to women. God help us all if only the women in the world oare capable of that!

Gentlemen, read the books. If nothing else, you don't want to turn yourself into the sort of man who genuinely doesn't understand women nor care for their pleasures, their dreams, or the kind who genuinely thinks that the sorts of things a woman values are weak. You want to be that guy? Good luck getting married.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do believe, that after the first bit when I read the book and you pointed out the dry wit in it, I enjoyed it more. I enjoyed Mr. Bennet's sarcasm the most, but I started to like Mr. Darcy, and it was most enjoyable to see him portrayed by none other than Colin Firth (the more entertaining would be his contemporary Hugh Grant). But to be honest I'm not sure why I didn't want to read that book. The sentences really weren't complex, and it wasn't a "oh its a chick book". When I first started, I just found it boring, it put me to sleep everytime I tried to read a paragraph. By the end of it, I got pretty engrossed by it. Boys and boys who think they're men, just give it a shot, Johnson's last paragraph should be a selling point at the very least.

Anonymous said...

Johnson, have you ever read the book "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore? As I read this post I couldn't help but think about a chapter in his book where Moore mentions how men (not man, as in humans) are responsible for most of the problems of the world. Let us think for a moment about some of the more unsavory characters in the past 100 years or so. Do any women come to mind besides Margaret Thatcher and her horrible haircut? None for me neither!

Okay, back to Moore. In his book he mentions how more and more babies being born today seem to be women. Coincidence or nature trying to purge the planet of men? You be the judge! Conspiracy theorists, rejoice.

If men could learn to be more like women in terms of their "talking it out" mentality (Johnson, you're married and so am I...you know what I am talking about when it comes to women talking!) rather than trying to just solve problems with aggressive means, perhaps our planet wouldn't be the sad place that it too often is.

The solution...vote for Hillary. Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

I have to completely agree with Jeremy on this. When I first started reading the book, I was, in some ways dreading the very notion - due to 'prejudices' that I had been hearing from my fellow classmates all High School.

However since reading the novel, I must disagree with these notions because, as You (Mr. Johnson) and Jeremy both point out, once one notices the humorous details, most notably the dry wit and sarcasm, this book actually becomes a very interesting and entertaining read. Especially when one considers the characters of Mr. Collins and Mr. Bennet.

Oh, and Crosbie... you better be joking about that Hillary vote.

=)