Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Problem With Jane Austen

(for Canadian readers only)

I'll start by saying that Jane Austen is one of the best writers in the English language. But a lot of people find her difficult (and by this I mean that a lot of students don't seem to enjoy her, especially males. But more on them, later.) There are a few reasons for all of that, but I don't accept them. Surprise, surpise.

So, here it is. My essay on how reading Jane Austen is patriotic. (Again, Canadian readers are the least likely to be offended by this post. I say least.)

British English started forming long ago, hundreds of years before even Shakespeare. In the 1200s to 1300s French was the language of the aristocracy, thanks to the vigour and success of William of Normandy and the happy aristocrats that followed him in 1066. But in over those centuries there was also a growing resentment of the supremacy of a foreign language, as well as the awareness that French was more civilized. So, English writers (like Chaucer in the Canterbury Tales) were revolutionary in pursuing English as a proper language for literature: until then it was only a language for peasants.

But as they wrote these writers were also finessing English, adding words (Latin and French) and altering its style to suit a more civilized mode. (The peasants still spoke - peasant. Don't worry.) As an example, it was considered a virtue in Latin to be able to express a complex and elegant thought with a similarly elegant and complex sentence. Cicero was a master of this; some of his sentences are a paragraph long. But they were beautiful and they made sense. Latin writers also enjoyed using ironic understatement and double-negatives (sometimes at the same time) and the British eventually took on a surprisingly similar tone in their language. Hence the wordy, ironic, dry British prose that we so often can spot but not understand.

Now, fast forward to the mid-twentieth century. An American group of writers, including such greats (ahem) as Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein, broke from this old mode in favour of shorter, more direct language. Hemingway in particular, who was a fan of boxing and bullfighting (not to mention drinking and getting married) felt that writing should be like wrestling: strong, visceral work with no room for elegant rejoinder. Almost all our literature today is a child of the American system of Hemingway et al. And admittedly, the style is easy to read and powerful in its own way. But it has two problems. Three. (Three, milord.) Right.

First, it makes it hard to approach British literature. When you're used to short, pre-chewed senetences expressing short, pre-chewed thought, Victorian sentences are hard.

Second, and more specifically: it makes Jane Austen seem like a burden rather than a blessing for young Canadian students. So they often avoid it.

Third, and for Canadian students only: An addiction to American style prose makes your mind a small colony to the United States; your thoughts become their thoughts. Our history as a country, whatever your ethnicity (and I'm a Francophone for the love of all that's holy, and I'm writing this) is decidedly British. So, at least we have an excuse to follow one mode rather than the other, since we have yet (I say yet) to be American. Reading something like Jane Austen is more than a wonderful literary experience: for the Canadian it can be a step towards reclaiming a lost heritage and exercising some real independence from the Yanks (God Bless 'Em.) Seriously.

So, an unlikely entreaty: Free yourselves! Free your minds from the oppressive burdens of lazy prose! Revitalize a past that is British in focus rather than American! Read Austen! Read Robertson Davies! Read Shakespeare, Chaucer, O'Brian, Milton! And maybe, just maybe, your mind will slowly awaken to subtlety and the joy of an English language that was, once upon a time, dry, clever, and mischievous. I dare you.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Johnson, first off, I've been enjoying the blogs, especially this one. And I admit that I do enjoy Shakespeare and Jane Austen so this isn't arguing with you at all.
But I would like to ask you two questions that kind of support my own opinions.
1. Would you not agree that Hemmingway, although crude, was a brilliant writer in his own way? You say it was chewed up and dumbed down for us, I'd say it's a method for him to portray the crude thoughts that he posessed, which is very obvious through his writing.
2. Would you also not agree that, although the sentences may be crude and dumbed down (which they are), that writers such as Chuck Polahniuk (and others who deserve such and exception) go against the steriotypical western way of writing and write in interesting, somewhat even revolutionary ways?

I await your reply!
Ben P.

Mr. Johnson said...

Ben! Okay, to answer your questions:
1) Sure, Hemingway was good. And he was a revolutionary. And an artist. Fine. But the revolution gave us fiction that, while easy to read, hamstrings us when it comes to reading more difficult texts. They're like... chocolate bars. Yeah. Simple and pleasurable. But they don't exactly educate the palette for finer things. So go on an American prose "diet."
2) Chuck? Half his impact comes from shock factor. A quarter comes from the fact that his prose matches his tone so well. But his one-trick show, however well he does it, isn't going to keep him fresh forever. IMO, at least.

Anonymous said...

I have to respect that Johnson.
And although I do agree with what you say about Hemmingway, I still have to argue my point that he could not have written any of his stories without using crude, harsh language and writing. Look at The Old Man and the Sea, which some consider a classic (I'm not one of those some). My point is, The Old Man and the Sea does have a beautiful story line. It could have been amazing if it was written with beautiful language, but give the story to Shakespeare and it loses its essence. The story itself is harsh and cold, why not have the writing style match the character's thoughts and emotions?
Which is also where I'm coming from on Chuck Polahniuk. Fight Club, the book is written from incredible perspective. I can't argue that his writing is anywhere near as good as the author's you're reffering to, I'm simply arguing that his perspective is amazing, and it is expressed through his writing style. "I am Joe's nagging sense of hypocracy" "I am Joe's raging bile duct". These are crude, vile words to match the mind of the character.

Having said that, I do agree with most of what you argue, especially the point about Western prose blinding many to the beauty and purity of old english prose.

Anonymous said...

^it's cool Ben brought up Chuck Palahniuk, because I was wondering the same thing as I read. He is incredibly unique and fun to read, but his books do tend to be similar- page after page of shocking event after shocking event. I completely adore Fight Club, I think the harsh interesting prose really works there. But some of his other pieces like Choke and Invisible Monsters were just too...crude and unrealistic, and I didn’t enjoy them as much.
I think he feels he can just ride the shock value, which as you said, won't keep him fresh forever. I believe he's trying to capture what the Beats did, in a way, but without the artistry. The Beats created something really unique, and yes it was talking about more rough subjects than the British carriage rides and parlors, but it was still beautiful language in its own way.
Of course, there’s also Burroughs (I found Naked Lunch so disgusting that I couldn’t even finish it), so I guess there’s a freaky person in every generation.

I think Jane Austen gets a bad rap just because she's old british lit. People generally associate the more classical british literature with Shakespearean english, and immediately think 'its too hard, I can't read that.' Yes, Jane Austen's sentences are longer than 3 words (the horror!), but it's all very readable. I don't find I've ever struggled with an Austen book, the sentences aren't complex or impossible, they just have a bit more formal flavor, which is nice.
Loving the blog, mr johnson. Thumbs up.

Anonymous said...

To elaborate on your comment about Choke and Invisible Monsters.
I found the concept of motivation and intention in Choke to be interesting but unnecessarily brutal.
Invisible Monsters was a nightmare in my opinion. He completely butchers an innocent girl, she becomes completely disfigured, can't find true love, has more than one murder attempt against her and has other's blood accounted for by her. The story is disgusting and predictable.

Having made my argument with Fight Club, I still stand by what I say. However, now that I look back at Choke and Invisible Monsters, I find that it's even more than shock factor. I honestly believes that Palahniuk understands that violent nature of humans and plays on that. Westerners love violence and troubled minds (reading and watching movies about them at least) and Palahniuk plays on those human faults. And so I finish by saying that yes, he is without question a one-trick show and his writing does not tend to evolve as other writers would. However, I believe it is very possible that he understands the nature of his writing isn't great and the crudeness of it and embraces that fact.

No old-english writer would tend to serve to a single-minded crowd, but that's how our world has "evolved".

Azexis said...

Personally, I haven't read any of Palahniuks books, nor Hemmingway, so I can't offer a very educated opinion. I've also only read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. But from my inference of Palahniuk's ideas, they seem like only ideas that he can't quite articulate in an eloquent way. Fight Club's meaning was genius, and therefore the book was saved, but I don't know much else about the rest. And Jane Austen, after you just suck it up and read the book, it starts to grow on you. It was never too complex, I just couldn't stay focused on it, thats all. The wit of Mr Bennet is to me, the most entertaining part. Older Britain has something pleasant and comely that our society could learn from, and Jane Austen opens that window.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's impossible to critisize Palahniuk without actually reading any of his material. I can't deny that he runs along the same shock factor and gore throughout all of his books, but I also can't deny that he is a brilliant writer.
Fight Club was saved through the message, possible, HOWEVER, the way the book is written is truly genius, and because none of the other Palahniuk books are written from such a perspective, we have to accept that Fight Club is truly a great work of art (not something I can say about Invisible Monsters).

Also, if you're going to consider the wit of Mr. Bennet, it's necessary to appreciate the often overlooked wit of Lizzy. There lies the true comedy in the story.

Mr. Johnson said...

"but I also can't deny that he is a brilliant writer."

I can. ;)

The more I read Pahlaniuk, the more the novelty wears off. That's the difference between him and real genius. Real genius, the more you read them the more fascinated you become, even by individual details. You won't find yourself pausing in wonderment at a delightful clause in Fight Club.

More on Jane Austen soon.

Marina Reid said...

I haven't read any Jane Austen, mostly because we haven't gotten to Pride and Prejudice in English yet. I'm excited to read it though, and I'll definitely read more of her if I like Pride and Prejudice, as I think I would.
Mostly, Mr. J, I wanted to ask, what about Oscar Wilde? Would you suggest reading him to free your mind from American thought as well? I only ask because I loved The Picture of Dorian Gray, and I'm going to be studying The Importance of Being Earnest in drama camp this summer, and I'm hoping that reading him will help me on my quest of British-izing (for lack of better term,) my mind.

Dennis R. said...

Hi Mr. Johnson, I think I have another author to add into this discussion: George Orwell. 1984 is important not because of how it was written language-wise, but for the ideas presented within it. What I believe is that sometimes (not all the time) it is simply best to write in a way that explains thoughts and ideas in the most understandable way. I think Orwell is a good example of this school of literature and deserves to be mentioned in this discussion. Oh yeah, Orwell's British, so he gets bonus points to Charisma

Anonymous said...

""but I also can't deny that he is a brilliant writer."

I can. ;)

The more I read Pahlaniuk, the more the novelty wears off. That's the difference between him and real genius. Real genius, the more you read them the more fascinated you become, even by individual details. You won't find yourself pausing in wonderment at a delightful clause in Fight Club."

Damn You! You beat me to it!

Although... Im extremely late in posting this, but I completely agree. Palahniuk's books all seem to follow the same equation - and most, if not all seem to rely heavily on that humanity/shock factor.

After reading a few of his books, I can say, at least for the time being... im all Chuck'd out.