Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Revolution, Heretics, and Crusade


Or:
Why it's Good that I Want to Storm Constantinople, but a Bad Idea nonetheless...
A recent post made me think of a few other posts, and a horde of comments I've heard over the year. As a highschool teacher in a Catholic school (up here in Canada they're publically funded- which is both good and bad) I've had the fortune of teaching Church history. And the interesting thing is that the majority of my classes, which are optional, are young men.
More interesting is how these normal young men react to words like "heretic" and "Crusade." I would hear the word "heretic" in the hallway (generally as a joke) but the question kept coming up in class as well. Is this person a heretic? This historical figure? This pop culture icon? The question as also come up in the com boxes.
This is something that these fellows gave me a lot of when we were studying the Crusades,a s well. I could see that surge in the blood, as if some of them wanted to come with me to storm the gates of Constantinople (and I'll admit that my blood surges at the image too.) They weren't simply interested in the notion that the Crusades were a necessary act of self-defence on behalf of the West, they were excited about it. And they wanted, on some level, to do something about it.

But where was all of that coming from? Admittedly some of it comes from being men, particularly young men, and relishing the notion of adventure. This isn't a bad thing. Some of it doubtless comes some disgust with how the world is and the fact that it was not always so. Some of it is probably a kind of vindication, that the West isn't necessarily the root of all sins as some of our own brethren would have us believe, leading us like lemmings to some kind of cultural suicide. But another part of it must be that yearning that we have for something beyond us which sometimes leads young men to join gangs but is really a yearning for God.
So, since several of those young gentlemen still read this board, let me remind you of a few things. Heresy still exist, and those who adhere to heresies are indeed heretics. But you need to somehow follow the Christian message before you can try to warp the Christian message, so only those people can be heretics. And it's a tragic diagnosis, not a warcry. (Though you all have the cuteness of puppies at play when you say it.)
Nor can we retake Constantinople, or at least it seems very unlikely at this point. And if Islam ever does fall it will not be to swords, but to Truth. So your war, if you wish to take up the banners of the ancient Crusaders, must be one of Truth and not bloodshed.
This would be the same for any Chestertonian revolution. But the good news is that Chesterton would have been happy to bandy words with you over a good beer at a small pub that felt like home. A Chestertonian revolution would be so very fun. We would roar and wave our walking sticks about, grinning and fighting the world because we love it and hate it at once.

9 comments:

Azexis said...

So I assume your saying we can't organize a band of ragtag knights and march into Jeruselem and kill every non-Christian. But if I can analyze this correctly, that the only way to combat the threat of heretics and Islam is one through Truth? And that Truth is the search and lust after proper historical facts, knowledge and philosophy? And if I am thus far correct in my assumption, could you lend us aid in deciphering which books out there are heresy and which arent (I've recently condemned every Oprah book a heresy). I know your first words would be Belloc and Chesterton, but not everyone is at that reading level or has access to those books.
(P.S. Johnson, I think I speak for most of Vatican studies boys, we would have followed you like "our brother, our captain, our king. Into the very fires of Mordor")

Jeremy W.

Ben P. said...

I too condemn all of Oprah's books to heresy... and to be fair I condemn Oprah to heresy!
(PS Johnson: you should put up a post about Oprah!!!!)

I would just like to point out that I would take the utmost honor in pulling swords next to any of you... And charging into Cnostantinople.
I think every one of us, now and then, wishes we could do so.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, LET US BAND TOGETHER IN ASPIRATION OF DESTROYING ALL HERETICS!

Haha you will miss us way too much Johnson...

Anonymous said...

heretics are just lost sheep that must needs be brought back into the fold, and only burnt at the stake at the most extreme of times.
and jeremy, if even we did assemble a ragtag army of nights to take jerusalem, i'm pretty sure both hamas and mossad would kick our collective asses.

Anonymous said...

Great now I can't stop imagining me and a ragtag group of cronies storming Constatinople in a very westside story-esque way with Johnson leading our V-shaped march

Window_Bandit said...

I'll bring the beer, along with red wine.

Mr. Corrigan said...

Jeremy, et al
I love the zeal, but truth, or Truth as you rightly call it, is not "the search and lust after proper historical facts, knowledge and philosophy?" or at least not merely that. Ultimately for Christians, truth is a person. Christ. Apart from Christ there can be no victory. Without this as the absolute centre there can be no victory and all. We do no justice to either Mr. Chesterton, nor those valiant Christians of the crusades, if we do not honor Christ. Honor in words, yes, sometimes in feats, sometimes heroic feats; but most of the time everyday feats, which can be the most heroic of all.

Lead a decent life. Become a father (or mother) of integrity. Go to mass, teach your children the faith. That's a crusade.

Mr. Johnson said...

Everything that Mr. Corrigan said. Ditto.

Marina Reid said...

Mr. Corrigan you rock my socks. Huzzah for crusading by not attacking people!
Not that I wouldn't join this rag-tag group of knights storming Constantinople either way..

I'd also like to add any books by Eckhart Tolle and Sylvia Browne to the list of heretical literature. As well as The Secret, but that should go without saying.
(Wow, can you tell I work at a bookstore?)

Anonymous said...

Mostly young young men interested in Church History eh? Not a surprise seeing as young men are allowed to participate the most in the Catholic faith. The Catholic Church won't allow women to be priests, bishops or pope. Should the Catholic Church change this tradition? I think so.

Interested in reading your thoughts,

An ABJ alumni and first year U of A student in the Arts faculty.