Sunday, June 22, 2008

These aren't the cats you're looking for


Good day all. Thanks to the ineffable Mr. Johnson for managing to compliment me and essentially force me to join his blog all in one masterstroke. Well played!

I am just recently returned from one of what certainly ranks as the high points of my short (much shorter than other posters) life so far. A G.K Chesterton conference. Please, contain yourself. Mountain Dew through the nose is not becoming. I'm serious. In case you missed it, the large fellow to the left is not me, but in fact is Mr. Chesterton himself. He was a prolific author of the early twentieth century; though his material sounds eerily like it was written for us a hundred years later.

This the conference focused on one of Chesterton's masterpieces, Orthodoxy. It will be 100 years old this September. He wrote it as a challenge. He had written a book called "Heretics" outlining many of the incorrect streams of thought that were popular then (and today), and systematically crushed them. Upon reading this book, many critics challenged Chesterton not just to attack others theories, but to submit his own. He gladly accepted the challenge, his theory was Christian Orthodoxy. In it he outlines his own "spiritual journey", he creates a system for himself and discovers it is a pale imitation of the 1900 year old Church.

His style, humour, wit are magnificent additions to his profound and deep message about humanity, about civilization, about Christianity. A great primer on Chesterton is "Common Sense 101" by Dale Alquist, president of the American Chesterton Society. It is available here.
At the conference, we were treated to a chapter by chapter ride through Orthodoxy by speakers from around the world. Here is a sample section from the book.

Modern masters of science are much impressed with the need of beginning all inquiry with a fact. The ancient masters of religion were quite equally impressed with that necessity. They began with the fact of sin—a fact as practical as potatoes. Whether or no man could be washed in miraculous waters, there was no doubt at any rate that he wanted washing. But certain religious leaders in London, not mere materialists, have begun in our day not to deny the highly disputable water, but to deny the indisputable dirt. Certain new theologians dispute original sin, which is the only part of Christian theology which can really be proved. Some followers of the Reverend R. J. Campbell, in their almost too fastidious spirituality, admit divine sinlessness, which they cannot see even in their dreams. But they essentially deny human sin, which they can see in the street.

The strongest saints and the strongest sceptics alike took positive evil as the starting-point of their argument. If it be true (as it certainly is) that a man can feel exquisite happiness in skinning a cat, then the religious philosopher can only draw one of two deductions. He must either deny the existence of God, as all atheists do; or he must deny the present union between God and man, as all Christians do. The new theologians seem to think it a highly rationalistic solution to deny the cat.

5 comments:

Azexis said...

"Heretics" sounds like an interesting read Mr. Corrigan. I have an unhealthy obsession with the word heretic, and like to convert as many as I can. (Slowly working I might add). I'm currently reading "The Dumb Ox". Excellent portrait of St. Thomas Aquinas, written by none other than Chesterton. But The main point of my post is to say that another one of Dale Alquist's books, "Chesterton: Apostle of Common Sense" is another good introductory book. I enjoyed that a lot and it helped me understand Everlasting Man a bit better.

Jeremy

Mr. Johnson said...

I like how Chesterton speaks of sin, as the only provable piece of Christian doctrine. Item A: the world seems to be much less than perfect. Item B: By God, but we hope there is a solution!

This is one of the reasons Chesterton disliked Freud. Psychology tells us that we're all okay and ultimately does not blame us. So you can feel better because it was your parents' fault for scarring you somehow, but meanwhile the world gets darker.

Christianity says you ARE to blame for the evil you do, but then offers the shining light of a God who loves and forgives. Only one of these systems will heal the world, because only one of these systems loves the world.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the famous G.K. Chesterton... how I have heard so much about him, and had lengthy and sometimes heated, discussions with Mr. C about some of his thoughts, opinions, ideas or whatever else! But this time I am going to need a bit of an explanation, of this whole thing, because i'm not quite getting it!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to pick up a copy of Common Sense 101. I love Chesterton, I think the man is an absolute genius. And it honestly impresses me that most of what he wrate at the start of the 20th century still applies today. I guess mankind never really does change.

I've been reading The Everlasting Man and I have to admit, it's a hard read. It's very interesting but I'm not able to make it through more than one chapter at a time. It tends to leave me somewhat confused on some of his points. Would Common Sense 101 help with that?

Anonymous said...

I was directed to your blogg by Nancy at the ACS blogg, which I have the periodic delight of writing for.

There's a lot I might say, but for the moment I would suggest to Ben that if you are finding The Everlasting Man a bit hard, try starting in the middle, at the chapter called "The God in the Cave" - which is GKC's unique study of Christmas. That might reel you in, and once you've done the second half, you'll be more curious about what happens in the first half... which is worth the effort for the blazing glimpse he gives (at its very end) of what Christianity actually looked like to the pagans.

I'm glad you're enjoying GKC - and wish I had been at the conference to meet you.

Paradoxically yours,
--Dr. Thursday

PS yes, either of Dale's books are great starting points, but be sure to read the originals!

Also if you have patticular questions, or are curious about issues in Orthodoxy in particular or GKC in general, please e-write or post over at the above blogg!